Thursday, August 24, 2006

Barbados Diary: Day 10: Wednesday 23th August 2006

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

Barbados Diary: Day 10: Wednesday 23th August 2006
Poster seen in the police station – which I saw when I went to license my bike: “Is your head full of questions? Then the nearest LIBRARY is in Holetown”Sorted!
Today was a good day. Fajer the tiler has started on the entrance to the master bathroom – so we saw the laying of the beautiful, elegant ‘leafy’ strips that I designed in Mexico. This is the first time that Fajer has fixed smalti, so I was keen to see if he could handle it. He made a first class job and I couldn’t see any of the zigzags joins - which is what I was hoping for. (Or ‘hopping’ for if he hadn’t had got it right!) Fajer seems to be the only guy on the island capable of this work - otherwise I would ask for someone with more social graces! – But not to worry – I can’t persuade my client to make a policy of employing people on the strength of their etiquette can I? – If I did it, there would only be myself and little Lord Fauntleroy here – and even I’m a BIT suspect!
Before the meeting Biggie pointed out to me that my flies were undone. I quickly rectified the situation – well at least he now knows why my nickname isn’t ‘biggie’ too. The guys are much friendlier now that they have got to know me – especially John who I like a lot – I just wish I could understand him. I’ve made a full size version of a shield with the crest of my client's family name on it. It is very stylish – a cross with a dove and I need the pink paint to make it all stand out. John the paint for me, so I called him to ask if it had arrived. He talked for ages but I couldn’t make any of it out. “So is that a yes or a no?” I asked. “NO!” he replied – “oh, ok”.
I cut it too fine in going out for dinner today. I wasn’t really all that hungry but by 5.30 I realised that I had better eat before it was too late. It gets dark really early about 6.30ish and very quickly, so I found myself cycling home in the pitch black, which was actually pretty scary. Johnny the driver had warned me not to go out at night and the other night when he took me for a ride, he turned his lights off on the way back up the hill – to demonstrate how incredibly dark it actually was – so I had no excuse did I?!
You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home