Thursday, August 24, 2006

Barbados Diary: Day 11: Thursday 24th August 2006

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

Barbados Diary: Day 11: Thursday 24th August 2006
Last night my friend Johnnie took me out for a ride. We went to St Lawrence at the south of the island. He showed me where he lives and then we went for a drink in a Mexican bar. I’ve already commented on the wonderful nicknames that the Bajuns give each other – some of them thought up at childhood which somehow stick into adulthood. Johnny told me that the colossal giant behind the bar was called ‘mouse’, I laughed and said that he sure was the biggest mouse that I had ever seen! He was so big that he even made Small look err... well, small. I had a Pina Colada which was as delicious as it was naff – with its umbrella, pineapple slice and cocktail cheery sticking out of it – very macho – don’t you think? I was pleased to discover that it was happy hour so I was given another complimentary one – with predictable results!
Today I had to go and see ‘Top Cat’ who is the stonemason on the island who has carved all of the fountains for the house. He’s a stocky short chap and his nickname comes from the days that he was a champion cyclist. Looking at him, he does look pretty much all muscle and all that stone carving must keep him in shape.I think that Top Cat is a very good artisan and craftsman – he had ten guys cranking it out for him, sawing, carving, filing and polishing plus others on various sites around the island, installing and making good the various works. I spoke to him about the possibility of making a frog or similar three dimensional sculpture for me to mosaic onto. He agrees that the form needs to be ‘fat’ in order for me to work on it without it becoming too fiddly. He says that he can do anything, any size, and from what I have seen, I believe him. The plan would be for me to make a ceramic maquette which once approved by my clients, the Wilsons, could be scaled up in stone. I would then mosaic over it. He can’t quote until he sees the maquette – and neither can I – his price will depend on complexity of form, size etc. My price will be down to surface area to mosaic and the materials used.
I’ve finished the full size mock up of the shield today as the elusive pink paint has at last arrived. It’s a bit pink to be honest – but after the wait I would use it even if it was cerise – the colour I mean -not Cyd Cherise the actress. Now all I have to do is to place it in situ atop of the entrance lobby and photograph it. This is proving easier said than done – due to the fact that I’ve used my wonderful and beautiful ‘Neocolour’ water-soluble crayons – and it simply won’t stop raining here at the moment. I leave tomorrow lunchtime so I still have a bit of time yet.
You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

1 Comments:

Blogger costa rica said...

This article is fantastic; the information you show us is very interesting and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it... Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home