Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Barbados Diary: Day 4: Thursday 17th August 2006

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

Barbados Diary: Day 4: Thursday 17th August 2006
When I got out of bed this morning, my bike was turned towards me as if to say “Well? – when are we going?!” However I’m behind with my work, so declined his offer – maybe later.
Last night I trawled through the year old documents to try and find the information I needed about the leafy vines in the master bathroom – eventually I found it – such a simple list – buried beneath days of correspondence with the Mexicans. One vine is narrower than the others: 22 cm instead of 30 cm – but given that the total order is short – I have to make it my priority to see what we have ACTUALLY been sent – only then can I do my job and decide where best to put the beautiful (and expensively extravagant) leafy strips.
The power points are now set in and for me at least they are not best placed. I want to move them-only slightly – about an inch – so that they sit in the middle of the vine. This is my feeling right now – but I have a secondary idea – that they stay put and we choose the stem of the vines that side step them – but I can only do that by looking at ALL of the vines. To proceed I need to speak to the electrician.
Once on site I found the electrician and asked him what his name is. “Small!” he said. The irony didn’t escape me – do I REALLY need to describe him to you? Well – suffice to say that he was wasn’t particularly small. The Bajuns are often called names which to us are odd and / or amusing to me – they like to refer back to empire – for example - how many Ferdinand’s do you know? The only one I can think off – apart from Franz Ferdinand – made popular by the UK pop group – is ‘Ferdinand the bull’ the mild mannered cartoon character from a Disney short circa 1940. But wait… thanks to the internet I am able to elucidate – “Ferdinand is a quiet, peaceful young bull who only wants to stop and smell the flowers. But, when he is stung by a bee, the townspeople believe he is ferocious and take him to the bullfight ring!” If you want to know more you can go to: http://www.disneyshorts.org/index.html And to think that I used to fill my BRAIN with all this ‘stuff’! It turns out that it was actually made in 1938 – the year ‘Snow White’ was released – imagine being an animator assigned to ‘Ferdinand the Bull’ whilst all you colleagues are working on ‘Snow White’ – a bit like pratting about making stupid mosaics in Broadstairs whilst the mosaics are being laid at the house here, I should imagine. Is it racist to say that MY Ferdinand fitted the above description with entire accurately? Well even if it is – I am happy to report that during his visit he WASN’T stung by a bee!
After the meeting with the electrician I’d forgotten his name – an embarrassing problem of mine – people assume that if you have forgotten their name then you have therefore forgotten them – not so – my brain works visually – The Independent On Sunday has a competition where you have to recognise a painting from a detail - it’s called – err.. ‘Details Competition’ – well anyway – if I’ve ever seen the painting before – in my life - then I will remember it. – Sadly not so with cars – where I blindly stick my key into any blue car – with predictable results! I couldn’t find my car at the NEC once – looking out at this sea of cars I said to the commissionaire “I can’t find my car” – “What colour is it?” he replied in his thick brummie accent – such a great example of the warm humour of my home town. –I digress - So - “Are you Slim or Short?” I asked him – “I’m small” he said in a deep voice – very reminiscent of Marcella in Tarantino’s ‘Pulp Fiction’ when he says “No, I’m not ok - I’m far from OK.”
I’ve been asked by three people so far if they can buy my bike when I leave. I keep pointing out that it’s not for sale – but they don’t seem to believe me. I got a licence plate for the bike yesterday from the police station. It had to be drilled and attached to the back of the bike. One of the guys on site, Ryan, drilled the holes for me and was asked by John to tie it to the bike with wire. After he had done this he came up to me and asked for a ’donation’. I laughed at the idea of tipping him for such a meagre effort – it literally took him one minute - though I DO remember that my client tips very generously and frequently when on site – so as his representative I can see why I am naturally seen as a stand in benefactor. To be honest, I was quite intimidated by this young man, but this morning he came up to me and said that he’d been praying for me. “What? – praying that I should fall off my bike?” I sneered. “Noooo – nuttin’ badd like dat” he replied – and walked off.

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home