Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Barbados Diary: Day 5 Friday 18th August 2006

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

Barbados Diary: Day 5 Friday 18th August 2006
AAAGGHHH!!! - This morning I received an email from my client asking for the mosaic inventory. This is potentially a nightmare scenario – one look at that HUGE container full of Mexican mosaic is enough to give me the shivers. However, I know that this has already been done on site because John told me that it took 3 days to count it all! I can well believe it too. So what I need to do today is to try to make sense of that inventory, put it in some sort of order and send it on to my client. The second in command, when John isn’t on site is called ‘Biggie’. He is very helpful and showed me the inventory of what mosaic sheets were actually received. In fact it is all very organised and made sense, so within a few hours I’d managed to get my head around it.
I’ve discovered that the discrepancy between the mosaics ordered and the mosaics received – what the guys are calling ‘short’ (not Small!) is due to the fact that a sheet of Mexican mosaic tiles measures 12 x 13 inches and all of the guys calculations are based on 12 x 12 inch sheets – which though logical is incorrect. In the guys defence I know of no other company that do this. 12 x 12 sheets are absolutely the standard measurements – worldwide. This means that a sheet of Mexican mosaic is actually 1.07 sq feet – which is pretty much the amount ‘short’ in each case. I spotted it because the % of ‘short’ seemed to be the same in each case – consistent throughout. This is really good news because it means that the Wilson’s have not been sold short as we thought. I think that basically the Mexicans ARE honest – but they do seem to over complicate things.
That done we laid out the leafy designs for the master bathroom. I designed these over a year ago and it took me a while to remember exactly where I had proposed to put them. This sounds ridiculous I know – but you’ll just have to trust me – it’s trickier than you think. Anyway after much trawling through emails and correspondence with the Mexicans I have remembered it all – so that fine. I was able to retrieve my list of what goes where and sure enough the vines were all present and correct. There are 13 full length ones, is a narrower one for a narrow space between two windows and two shorter ones for over the bath. When we saw it all laid out we were all impressed – the Mexicans have done a beautiful job – it’s first class work – very neat and elegant.
I regret losing my temper with the architect – Ian Morrison -but then again when did anyone not regret losing their temper – it almost goes by definition: to lose one’s temper – something that you will regret at a later date. I’ve requested a meeting with him first thing on Monday – I’m going to see if he will instruct Small to move some light switches – after all it is a small adjustment. My meeting with Small may have gone a bit better if I could have understood a bloody word of what he was saying. It’s very funny listening to him and if another English person was resent I know that I would find it hard not to laugh. When I have been on site with my client in the past, it has been very funny at times – but I think that they try to ‘talk proper’ when the client is around – not so for me. Whilst I was logging the inventory Small was on the office phone right next to me. Although I couldn’t understand him – I got the impression that he’s a bit of a Romeo – he was having a very romantic discussion with someone –I think!
All in all I think that this has been a good day’s work. I feel that I am useful here, which was my main concern – but whether I am giving it 100.07% remains to be seen.

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com
The Barbados work is shown on page:
www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home