Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Barbados Diary: Day 8: Monday 21th August 2006

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com

The Barbados work is shown on page:

www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

Barbados Diary: Day 8: Monday 21th August 2006

Conversation overheard at ‘One Love’ bar in Holetown: “What you gotta ‘stand see – what you gotta do… is like…listen to me…If something HAPPENS…then it is PREDICTABLE. If something DOESN’T happen then it is UNPREDICTABLE!” - ANON

Today I started a blog! The address is:
http://martincheekmosaics.blogspot.com/
Quite a few friends have suggested that I should have a blog, and I’ve always shrugged it off, fearful of all that extra work, but my friend Brian Sibley – a wonderful writer and broadcaster - has convinced me that it is worthwhile – so I can’t argue with him can I! What MAKES it’s worthwhile though, is the feedback – so why not visit it and tell me what you think?! There you will find my Mexican diary, which is how I got here in the first place!

I continue to cycle everywhere much to the amusement of the locals. I eat out every lunchtime – keen to get one hot meal a day. I don’t go out at night, partly because I don’t want to cycle in the dark and partly because I don’t want to be a ‘Johnny no mates’ in the excellent friendly local restaurants. Consequently I eat too much at lunchtime and have to lie down to digest it – like a snake. Even this suits me well though, I don’t keep regular hours – I’ve been self employed since 1982 – and find that my most productive time is at 6 in the morning. Most people start their day slowly – build up to a peak around midday and trail off (supposedly the best time to call someone is around 11, when they are having their coffee.) However my ‘graph’ is one of gradual decline I’m afraid! This proved a disaster when I taught at the Royal College of Art – I would get in early, raring to go, all fired up – but where were the students? They’d show up at midday, scratching themselves and were ready to get going by 4 in the afternoon – my down time. Timing certainly IS the essence of comedy – and, as I get older – everything else too. (Discuss.)

Meanwhile – back at the ranch - the architect, is back on the island (Ranch?!) today and I had a meeting with him at 5 this afternoon. I have a new respect for him now that I have seen the house nearing completion – yes I KNOW that anyone else could have SEEN that from the plans on day 1 but I lack that imagination – my imagination works in mosaic but not in architecture – funny that. Anyway he looked great - after a full treatment for cancer – if I hadn’t known, then I’d never have guessed – he looked the same as when I first met him 18 months ago. He was congenial and on form.

We discussed the house and its progression, notably the mosaic tiling. I expressed my admiration of Fajer, the Syrian tiler (see previous diary entries) who it seems, is the only person on the island capable of carrying out the works. This is a shame because we are behind schedule and it would be great if we could clone him – like Dolly the sheep, which by sheer coincidence – he resembles quite well – albeit not so woolly. A FLOCK of Fajers is an interesting prospect, but that said, I think it is a mistake to rush things and risk spoiling anything at this crucial stage.

You can see pictures of my mosaics on my website: www.martincheekmosaics.com

The Barbados work is shown on page:

www.martincheekmosaics.com/html/barbados_floor.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home